Permits & Procedures
WhenA zoning permit is
required when a structure or part thereof is located, erected, moved, reconstructed, extended, enlarged, converted or structurally altered within the unincorporated towns of Brighton, Paris, Randall, Somers and Wheatland.
New structures and additions to such structures requiring a zoning permit include:
- Single family and multi-family residences
- Accessory buildings (agricultural buildings, detached garages and boat houses, storage buildings of any kind, sheds, gazebos and pool houses over 150 square feet in area)
- Fences (non-agricultural)
- Hot tubs, jacuzzi and spas
- Steps and stairs to a residence greater than 4’ x 6’
- Swimming pools (including portable and inflatable) and related safety fencing
Structures not requiring a zoning permit include:
- Agricultural buildings not permanently fixed to the ground and are readily removable provided they meet the required setbacks for the district in which they are located
- Hobby radio towers (freestanding) not more than 50 feet in height may be located in a side or rear yard only, and guy wires must be at least five feet from any side or rear lot line in a residential district
- Satellite dish antennas in excess of two feet in diameter shall be at least five feet from a side or rear lot line. Satellite dish antennas in excess of two feet in diameter shall not be located in a street yard or shore yard
- Sheds, gazebos and pool houses less than 150 square feet in area provided they meet the required setbacks for the district in which they are located
- Steps and stairs to a residence equal to or less than 4 feet by 6 feet
- Swings and slides
To verify that the placement of structures and the use of land are in accordance with the requirements outlined in the Kenosha County General Zoning and Shoreland / Floodplain Zoning Ordinance.
You must submit a complete Zoning Permit Application including a property survey/site plan (example) and submit the appropriate fee based upon the Kenosha County Department of Planning and Development Fee Schedule.
|New Residential Construction||Varies By District|
|Residential Additions & Expansions||Varies By District|
|Accessory Buildings||Accessory Buildings|