Permits & Procedures
WhenA zoning permit is
required when a structure or part thereof is located, erected, moved, reconstructed, extended, enlarged, converted or structurally altered within the unincorporated towns of Brighton, Paris, Randall, Somers and Wheatland or within the Village of Salem Lakes or Village of Somers.
New structures and additions to such structures requiring a zoning permit include:
- Principal structures including but not limited to single-family residential buildings, multi-family residential buildings and commercial, industrial and institutional buildings.
- Accessory structures including but not limited to agricultural buildings, storage buildings, detached garages and boat houses and sheds, gazebos and pool houses over 150 square feet in area.
- Fences (non-agricultural)
- Steps and stairs to a residence greater than 4’ x 6’, as these are considered recreational deck structures.
- Any swimming pool including hot tubs, jacuzzis and spas as well as any related safety fencing. A swimming pool is defined as any structure, portable or permanent, with the ability to contain a body of water 18 inches or more in depth, intended for recreational purposes, including a wading pool, but not including an ornamental reflecting pool or fish pond or similar type pool.
- Agricultural buildings not permanently fixed to the ground and are readily removable provided they meet the required setbacks for the district in which they are located.
- Satellite dish antennas in excess of two feet in diameter shall be at least five feet from a side or rear lot line. Satellite dish antennas in excess of two feet in diameter shall not be located in a street yard or shore yard.
- Sheds, gazebos and pool houses less than 150 square feet in area provided they meet the required setbacks for the district in which they are located.
- Steps, stairs (entry) and landings to a dwelling, (uncovered and non-enclosed) not to project more than four (4) feet (landing not to exceed four (4) feet by six (6) feet) into the street yard or shore yard; no closer than three (3) feet to any side lot line and no closer than fifteen (15) feet to any rear lot line do not require a county zoning permit, however a local building permit may still be required.
- Swings, slides and play equipment.
To verify that the placement of structures and the use of land are in accordance with the requirements outlined in the Kenosha County General Zoning and Shoreland / Floodplain Zoning Ordinance.
You must submit a complete Zoning Permit Application including a property survey/site plan (example) and submit the appropriate fee based upon the Kenosha County Department of Planning and Development Fee Schedule.
|New Residential Construction||Varies By District|
|Residential Additions & Expansions||Varies By District|
|Accessory Buildings||Accessory Buildings|